Thursday, January 15, 2009

CCAA visit and shopping on Wangfujing Street

Building where the CCAA is located


This morning we taxied to the new location of the CCAA (China Center of Adoption Affairs )where we were scheduled to have a short tour with one of the staff. The building is a modern glass high rise and the CCAA and Bridge of Love Adoption Service occupy eight of the floors.

Outside the CCAA building




Sign on the building





Building directory showing the CCAA on the 11-16th floors


On our tour we viewed the area where files are received and logged in, the review department, matching department and the archive department. In the archive department we were able to see an example of an archived file. Some of the staff members we met had been to Melbourne as part of the 2007 CCAA visit and we recognized them from that time. They were glad to see Jade and how well she is doing and one person remarked that we looked like a family.



Active files in the logging in room


It was a privilege to be able to visit the CCAA and we are grateful for that.
After our visit we took the subway to Wangfujing Street and had some lunch. Paul and the kids then took a taxi back to our hostel so that the kids could rest a bit. They have been doing quite a bit of walking these past few days and wanted some 'down time' to rest and relax.
I took the opportunity to do some shopping. There is a tremendous amount of Olympic souvenirs still around. Some of it is large stuff for corporate buyers to purchase and display and some of it is small. The set of 5 Olympic mascots are going for a song now--90Y--and we have seen people everywhere carrying them home. I love looking at the traditional Chinese crafts but the amount of stuff available is overwhelming. When I get overwhelmed, especially when people are pressuring me to buy, I tend to come away with nothing. I did purchase a green knotted necklace with jade beads on it for a jade pendant I bought the last time we were in China. Later I bought 6 silk cushion covers for our family room. By the end of the day I was exhausted from all the walking. My I must be getting fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment